Sunday, February 11, 2007

Temping, Part II

I've been studying up on books about temping, but everything I've been able to find was written in the nineties. Strange there's nothing more recent, since temp agencies are some of the largest employers in the U.S.

A couple of books I checked out were straightforward manuals on working as a temp, but one book, "The Temp Survival Guide: How to Prosper as as Economic Nomad of the Nineties," was just downright subversive, although pro-temping. I'm surprised it even got published. That's what is so great about libraries-- all the random stuff you can find that has since been swept under the rug. I also read a very anti-temping and much angrier book called "Best of Temp Slave!"

"The Temp Survival Guide" put me in a better frame of mind about this temping thing. If I can keep the gigs a bit shorter and take off time to look for personal assistant jobs, it could work out. It could also give me a good overview of L.A.

No comments: