Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Myth Busting L.A.

Los Angeles, de-mythologized:

1) Myth: Los Angeles is filled with beautiful people.
The Truth: Most people, in fact, are average-looking, even in trendy areas like West Hollywood. At the same time, there *are* beautiful people to be spotted out and about, but no more so than in Austin.

2) Myth: You can't walk anywhere.
The Truth: There are a few walkable areas in L.A. I live near the Beverly Center and can do all of my errands on foot, which is what I love about my neighborhood. If I worked in the same area, I could manage without a car. On the other hand, parking in my neighborhood is a big pain, and I've already racked up two $45 parking tickets (a.k.a. my "warm welcome" from L.A.) within one month of living here.

3) Myth: It's a snake pit out here.
The Truth: There are lots of friendly, down-to-earth, helpful people here. Then again, I have consciously decided to block out the people who have blown me off, which has definitely happened, I just can't recall the number of times.

4) Myth: If you are a semi-competent, reliable, non-aspiring actor/actress, you are very employable here.
The Truth: It's hard to find a job, even behind-the-scenes of the entertainment industry or outside of it. Formal channels seem impossible. Craigslist/ job boards are a huge waste of time-- don't expect to hear back. It's difficult to even get a temp agency to return interest without a connection. Connections appear to be the most viable way of finding employment. I hear about jobs through friends and co-workers, so it may be easy to find jobs if you know a lot of people or once you start working here; at least, that is my hope.

5) Myth: Salaries are higher to reflect the cost of living.
The Truth: I do see a difference in librarian salaries, but overall, there are a lot of low-paying jobs in L.A. Surprisingly low-paying, and I'm not talking about dream jobs in the entertainment industry. Temp work pays well below New York wages; $10-$15 an hour is the norm. Unfortunately, jobs that are relatively easy to get will probably barely cover the rent.

6) Myth: Los Angeles is ugly.
The Truth: There are a number of amazing hiking spots smack dab in the middle of the city. Not to mention the stunning drives along Mulholland and Sunset. And there's a banana tree on my street.

7) It's sunny all the time.
The Truth: OK that one is pretty much true.

No comments: