Thursday, February 8, 2007

Money Matters, Part II

I'm hoping this blog will be helpful to people contemplating a move. To that end, I advise having some serious bank saved up before moving, especially if you are heading for one of the coasts. Moving and it's associated costs will run around 5-7k, and then there is the likelihood of being without a job for months on end. Even with temping full-time I will be partially living off savings. Of course, there is always the possible cost of having to move back home... I planned well financially, but I'm also kind of old to be making a move cross country.

I try to keep all this in perspective by considering that some people spend 30k on a wedding (an expense it appears I will be avoiding) or 12k on annual daycare for an infant.

This temp job has helped rein in the spending. Now when I consider purchasing something, I think along the lines of "that ticket is the equivalent of two hours of temp work" or "that shirt will cost me four hours at my temp job." It really brings it home. Since I have limited time to cook, I eat a lot of hot meals at Whole Foods, and I've become skilled at weighing the box in my hands and keeping it within the $5-$7 range. Due to all the stress of moving, I've lost a good five pounds, and hopefully I'll keep it off, since food costs are outside the budget.

Oh, that brazen hussy L.A. I'm loathe to spend money on her until she starts putting out. You've got to give to get, baby!

Lucky for me, I am not a professional good-looking person, unlike my roommate. Looking good is a part-time job for her; it's unbelievable the amount of time and money that goes into it. As befitting my amateur status, the requirements are lower, and there is a 15-20 lb. leeway. The day I start spraying on self-tanner... okay I don't want to think about it.

4 comments:

David C. Fox said...

moving 5-7K? i don't get it. u brought your fossil collection?

Elizabeth A. said...

David,

Cost of trip to find a roommate: 1k. Cost of paying rent before I got here: 2k. Deposit: $1500. Road trip out here: $500. January rent and utilities: $1k. Luckily this place is furnished, but the cost of shipping boxes and buying a few cheap pieces for my room: $500.

Elizabeth

David C. Fox said...

ok so i've lived a sheltered and charmed life, housing wise.10++ years of cheap rent in Austin when it was cheap [i missed the really cheap days]. then another 10+ in a used mobile home in the country. then rent included as part of my wife's package in Outer Appalachia. but i have no equity. i'm a grasshopper.

Amy L said...

Kiehl's self tanner is a girl's best friend.

And, hey, anytime you want, give me a few hours notice and i'll cook dinner for us. Sometimes ambitiously gourmet, most of the time very simple.