Friday, February 9, 2007

Parking Tickets, Your Welcome to L.A.

I met an Australian who told me she was slapped with two parking tickets her first month here. Then I got two parking tickets within my first month. One was for parking too far away from the curb, which I didn't even know was a law (two friends reminded me of the "we can walk to the curb from here" line from Annie Hall).

I made friends with a British woman, J., who is in town for an acting class. She's in her early twenties and is trying to figure out how to stay in Los Angeles for acting. She's bright and attractive and scrappy and I'm sure quite talented, but whether that will amount to a hill of beans here, I don't know. That's another name I considered for this blog: A Hill of Beans.

Anyway, the first night I went out with J., I warned her about the parking situation. Last night we spoke on the phone and she said she had already been slapped with two tickets! It must be a rite of initiation.

We were supposed to go out last night but neither one of us wanted to move our cars, as then we would have to hunt to find parking spots upon return (both of us are limited by hang tags to parking on our respective blocks). I think we were also just tired after a week of battling it out with the city.

2 comments:

turdferguson said...

I hate to be the one to correct the librarian (and by this I mean I love to be the one to correct the librarian), but the phrase you're looking for is 'rite of initiation', not 'right of initiation'. Feel free to correct grammar or spelling on my blog anytime. Glad your blog is up and running, Miss A! I've already subscribed!

Elizabeth A. said...

Wow, and I had even googled that phrase to check on the spelling. I guessed I pulled up all the incorrect spellings of the phrase.