Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Temping for a (So-Called) Living

So I'm currently in a temp job. Obviously there is not enough work for me to do here.

I have some funny temp agency stories, but I don't want to go into them on this blog. Let's just say that Prada-wearing devils are not only in the fashion industry! And, well, they aren't always wearing Prada.

Once I figured out that finding a job in L.A. is all about "who you know," I decided I needed to get out there as a temp in order to start meeting people and trying out different companies. I actually had to use a connection to get a temp agency to call me back. None of the temp agencies that specifically feed into the entertainment industry responded, so I ended up in a general agency that has some entertainment industry clients. I felt pressured into accepting the first position offered, so I ended up in a three-week job where I am responsible for making photocopies for a medical research study. Needless to say, I didn't have a great attitude about taking the job. It's not in a field I'm interested in, I'm not learning new skills, I didn't want to commit to a three-week position so early on, the pay is low, and there are no connections to be made. My L.A. adventure came to a resounding thud upon committing to the position, and my routine has quickly become the old reliable work-gym-home. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels, waiting for this position to end so I can resume my job hunt. It's entirely possible that I would have been better off spending these three weeks going to parties and making connections. Also, this position feeds into my worst fears about my job prospects, which are that, after working for years as a manager in the library field, the only thing I'm qualified to do is make photocopies and answer the phone. Not to mention the fear that there are no longer good jobs to be had.

On the other hand, it could be a lot worse. The people are nice, and the phone barely rings. Most days I have lots of free time on my hands (uh, like this one). The pay, though low, will at least cover my rent. I've sent off about 50 responses to job ads, which will be my one grand experiment with that type of job search, and this position gives me three weeks to see if that will result in anything (doubtful). I'm also (slowly) working through my connections, which will take time to pan out as well, so I might as well be sitting in a job.

I have this one assignment here in which I have to replace pages in binders with the new, correct pages. I do this assignment with a former doctor from Romania. We are compadres in boredom.

I have had to study up on how temp agencies work. What are my rights? Can I refuse assignments or tell the agencies what kinds of jobs I'm willing to accept? Or will that result in never being called? Can I take time off for job interviews? I still don't have a good sense of whether or not temping will pan out as a job searching tool.

I would like to try out other careers besides librarianship while I'm here (see the personal assistant post below). Outside of being a personal assistant, I am interested in other jobs in the entertainment industry and possibly in other areas of private industry as well (after six weeks I am already willing to sell out). It's difficult to career transition, and I'm in a new city to boot, so I'm trying to be patient. The process could likely take up to a year.

No comments: