Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Money Matters

And it's mattering more and more.

For those considering a move to L.A., the biggest expenses seem to be car insurance and rent. Car registration was just a little over a hundred bucks, but my car insurance more than doubled, and my rent-controlled apartment, roommate included, is still several hundred dollars more per month than I would be paying in Austin to live alone. By New York standards, though, my apartment is palatial, and it's in a great location.

As far as the car insurance, I checked with several carriers, and they were all around the same price. In fact, I spent about an hour filling out a Progressive application online and was thrilled to find out that it would only cost $1000 to insure with them. Then I realized that the $1000 quote was a six-month, not an annual, price.

Gym dues are very reasonable, and although I think food is more expensive, there are far more cheap but healthy dining options than in other American cities.

Between the beach, the mountains, and all the hiking within the city, there's also lots of free recreation to be had.

No comments: