Saturday, June 30, 2007

Swamp Thing, Part II

It still hasn't been quite hot enough at night to try out the swamp cooler, but at 85 degrees, this weekend is getting close.

I stayed home last night (Friday), did three loads of laundry, talked more with my roommate about our current state of directionlessness, and read a Jungian psychology book called "Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places" by James Hollis.

I particularly liked this passage on page 72:

Thus we are forced into a difficult choice-- anxiety or depression. If we move forward, as our soul insists, we may be flooded by anxiety. If we do not move forward, we will suffer the depression, the pressing down of the soul's purpose. In such a difficult choice one must choose anxiety, for anxiety at least is a path of potential growth; depression is a stagnation and defeat of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow--that is incredibly interesting! That's kind of been my experience lately...before I did the comedy contest, I had SO MUCH anxiety...then when it was over, did I feel calm and happy? No, I became really depressed that I didn't have anything to work towards anymore....when I'm in a relationship, man, the anxiety kicks in! When the relationship ends, of course, hello, crushing depression.
God--hopefully there's another way---maybe my new therapist will have answers...:)