Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Little People

Shopped again today, this time at a store called "It's A Wrap" on South Robertson that resales clothes formerly owned by the studios. Some of the racks have signs designating what sitcom or soap opera they originated from.

Unfortunately, 90% of the clothing is "extra small" or "small" due to the tiny stature of showbiz folks. I only bought two items; I'd like to thank the little people for that. My roommate has put on 10 pounds, is now a size 2, and frets that her acting career is over as a result.

Still haven't heard from entertainment placement agency #1 but interview with #2 tomorrow. The library interview is next week. The clock is ticking, and I believe the writing is on the wall. I am assuming that in a couple of weeks I'll be back in the book stacks.

From the article "It's A Living: Unless you're in the Industry, that is" by Mark Lacter, Los Angeles Magazine, June 2007:

"A lot of people willing to go for it have something to fall back on," says Jaime Waugh... She's shopping a novel and a screenplay but also has a 30-hour-a-week day job as a researcher for the Los Angeles Unified School District... For many the trick is to find something that at least has a creative slant-- publishing, design, teaching... Waugh.... has these words of wisdom: "You're not choosing a career, you're choosing a lifestyle."

So, I could look at librianship as my creative fall back position, which would allow me to, what? I guess keep up my blog. I smell book deal!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck!!!

Cory said...

I just read a short interview with Paulina Porizkova (the former supermodel) who said, when asked if she was interested in modeling again, that she was far too fat now. When she used to work models were size "4, 6, even sometimes 8." It's crazy that a size 2 would keep you from working now. These people must look so frightening in real life.

Anonymous said...

that's what i think---part time job, and make the blog a book!