Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back to the Books II

The East Hollywood badminton party on Saturday was indeed fun (although I didn't play long enough to put that in all caps), but my second round of dancing at the Derby on Sunday was a bust. As in Austin, the young, good lindy hoppers took over the floor, and although I do enjoy watching good dancing, I don't like spending the bulk of the evening as an audience member.

Tonight was my college alumni dinner, which involved a large, scrumptious spread of free food and some interesting conversation, so I'm glad I went. Yet there were only six of us there (a political writer, a reality show producer, an aspiring actress/ feng shui practitioner, a woodworker, a documentary filmmaker, and me), and somehow I doubt I will be seeing anyone again outside of alumni events.

My library interview is tomorrow. My current place of temporary employment has begun making noises about keeping me on as a permanent employee, but once again, I don't think the place is for me. Finding the ideal job is as difficult as finding the ideal boyfriend. It's hard to find interesting social interaction, intellectual stimulation, decent pay, reasonable hours, a nice boss, and a short commute in the same place!

All in all, going back to my original career is seeming like the best bet. I spoke on the phone this weekend with a friend of mine who recently thought she had quit teaching for good. She was feeling a lot of relief over never having to grade another paper again. After exploring other careers, though, she is back teaching and said, "I guess that's what I am, a teacher." Well said.

It's occuring to me that I am recreating my same general lifestyle (and corresponding discontents) in L.A. As they say, wherever you go, there you are. And I might add, there "they" are (the same problems).

I read over a blog today, written by a friend of a friend, about a similarly life-changing, restless move from Seattle to Asheville (which sounds like Austin forty or so years ago):
http://hightechsurvivor.blogspot.com

No comments: