Monday, June 18, 2007

Dancing at the Derby

I've decided to make use of this unintended summer vacation and try all the things I have previously been unable to do. To that end, I drove across town to Los Feliz tonight to check out the Sunday night swing dance (with live music) at The Derby.

Several people told me the crowd was thinner than usual, but it seemed substantial to me. The age range was older than what I was used to in Austin, with a significant number of dancers over the age of forty. The twenty and thirtysomethings seemed to become the majority after 11 p.m., but even then it was a pretty mixed crowd. Another difference from the Austin scene was that most of the women were wearing dresses and many of the men had on suits and ties. Several fedoras were in attendance.

The dancers were friendly (and good); I danced several times and as a bonus met a sweet Italian guy.

It felt really nice to participate in a social scene; I have been feeling so atomized here. The week after next I'm attending a college alumni event at The Grove, which I'm looking forward to for the same reason.

No comments: