Monday, July 2, 2007

Nights Spent Crying Into Pillow, Part II

It turns out that the question in my interview about part-time jobs was hypothetical, as in, if a part-time reference job came open in the future, would you be interested. I thought my three-month journey through the library interview process was finally coming to fruition, but it appears that I may have to wait for future adult services jobs to open up and interview again for those. Needless to say, I spent a weepy night and day over this. I was so looking forward to getting off the temp bus!

I do have an interview coming up to be a library sub, but I don't know how often that need arises within a reasonable commuting distance, and I don't seem to handle the waiting game very well.

I wrote one of my old placement agencies today (not in entertainment) and told them I would like to interview for any permanent positions that paid at least 45-55k and were located in my area of the city. I've become unable to stomach the idea of working full-time for 35k or less. In a city this expensive, it's positively Dickensian to pay those kinds of wages.

I can't take the low-paying temp gigs much longer either.

I am now setting a deadline for a decent job coming through for me here before I bail back to Texas. It's looking like September. Honestly, I could lie around on the couch at mom's, collect rent on my condo in Austin, and end up in the exact same financial position as working at a full-time, low-paying job in L.A. that barely covers the bills. Not a pretty picture for a 37-year-old, but economically it's entirely logical.

No comments: