Sunday, July 8, 2007

Tyrannies

Went to an art show at the Jeff Electric Gallery in Silver Lake this afternoon that was a photographic exhibit of 100 couples. Details here: http://www.day19.com/text/?p=128

It was really interesting that, in a lot of cases, the couples looked like each other (or maybe that was an illusion). But, even in Bohoville, the show made me feel the tyranny of coupledom, as if we are all supposed to match up, like in that children's game where you turn over two squares at a time, looking for the identical pair. It didn't help that the other onlookers were all in couples.

Oddly, an ex-boyfriend rang me on my cell while I was at the gallery. Later that afternoon, I met a date for coffee in an attempt to find my matching square.

But enough about the trivialities of my love life. This evening I attended a 9/11 Truth panel with Ed Asner. What, you might ask, do alternative 9/11 theories have to do with a blog about a single, thirtysomething woman uprooting her life and moving to Los Angeles? Well, maybe 9/11 isn't related to the fact that I have subpar health insurance and poorly-paying job prospects and am under the thumb of the nefarious temp agencies, of which there have been no books written about. I will let you draw your own conclusions, but this website is worth a look:
http://www.patriotsquestion911.com/

2 comments:

matt said...

your blog is wonderful, thoughtful and honest and i enjoy it very much.

but are you sure you want to link to a site about 9/11 truths that includes these gems?

# Essay 9/6/06: "The US military, not al Qaeda, had the sustained access weeks before 9/11 to also plant controlled demolition charges throughout the superstructures of WTC 1 and WTC 2, and in WTC 7, which brought down all three buildings on 9/11. ...

A US military plane, not one piloted by al Qaeda, performed the highly skilled, high−speed 270−degree dive towards the Pentagon that Air Traffic Controllers on 9/11 were sure was a military plane as they watched it on their screens. Only a military aircraft, not a civilian plane flown by al Qaeda, would have given off the "Friendly" signal needed to disable the Pentagon’s anti−aircraft missile batteries as it approached the building.

Only the US military, not al Qaeda, had the ability to break all of its Standard Operating Procedures to paralyze its own emergency response system." http://blog.lege

Elizabeth A. said...

Matt,
Thank you for the comments on the blog!

In reference to the 9/11 website, I haven't read most of it, but I know all those theories are out there, and there's no way for me to know what is a legitimate theory (including the government's theory) and what isn't. What I do believe is that there are a lot of unanswered questions about that day, and that, to me, is fishy. I definitely think we don't have the full story, which has left a vacuum for alternative theories to be created. And I definitely think the "powers that be" have used 9/11 as an excuse to erode quality of life in the U.S.

By the way, readers, if I suddenly stop writing, well, maybe they found me... not that I'm paranoid or anything like that.