Friday, July 27, 2007

How Hard Can It Be?

Watched "My Life on the D-List" with Kathy Griffin tonight. She has an "assistant" and an "assistant to the assistant," and they tagged along with her for a funny bit on the street and then later accompanied her on a trip to Ireland. Nice work if you can get it. They both seemed really young, and the "assistant to the assistant" seemed particularly shy and inexperienced. Kathy Griffin, whom I love, referred to them as "the best friends money can buy."

I did feel somewhat bitter watching all this. I mean PLEASE. I can't believe I have been told by several agencies that they can't place me as an assistant because I "haven't been a personal assistant before." Geez, look at our President. Need I say more?

But timing is everything. By the time I meet that "right" person at a party, I won't want to be a personal assistant anymore. I had just thought it would be fun to do for my first year or two in L.A.

There's another good "Dear Cary" column today, this one about moving from the East to the West: salon.com/mwt/col/tenn/2007/07/27/east_coast_west_coast/

An anonymous letter writer to the column had this to say:

California is magical, and we natives know this, but listen carefully to the song "It never rains in Southern California" before you board that west-bound 747. Do not come here expecting to find yourself, a man, or anything else, because it is most likely that these dreams will be confronted by everyday realities: outrageous insurance, taxes, and real estate, cutthroat competition in all aspects of life, crime, smog, traffic, and flakes who promise to call you for lunch and never do.

No comments: