Wednesday, July 25, 2007

This Town

I had a second interview for the extremely low-paying but entertainment (related) job on Monday. Liked the people but was hoping it would take a couple of weeks to hear back so I could give the library possibility some more time. Well, yesterday my agency called to say I was offered the job and for more money (although still in the low range of mid-thirties). The agency then gave me two hours to get back to them with a decision.

Given that my interviewers had stressed that they wanted a committed person, I had to turn it down. I just wasn’t sure that particular job (administrative work on union contracts) was worth the financial sacrifice, and I felt that I would need a couple more weeks on the job hunt before I could feel comfortable taking it. I had to endure the wrath of the employment agency, which was unpleasant, especially after I had made what I consider to be a measured decision and had endured a couple of less-then-ideal temp jobs for them. There won’t be any agencies left I want to work for pretty soon.

This town is getting small in more ways than one. I had a lunch date yesterday, and, as it turned out, that guy knew Mr. Grabby Hands. They both grew up in L.A., went to posh high schools, are around the same age, went to college in the area, etc. So perhaps L.A. can be a small place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I'm happy to hear you get to turn down jobs when other people say they can't get ONE job there to save their lives. Obviously there's a reason for that other than just "you have to know someone" to get a job there.