Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Things I Might Miss

One thing I do really like about Los Angeles is that, predictably, everyone other person I meet here is working in the entertainment industry. I would miss that if I left.

I appreciate people writing into the blog encouraging me to give the recommended entertainment placement agency a try, but I called the number today, and it was disconnected. I suspected as much, as I had done a very thorough search of placement agencies in town and had not come across that one. Agencies seem to fold rapidly here. My New Line friend mentioned that they placed people at Fox, but I had tried another agency that worked with Fox (I thought exclusively), and they had already sent me a "thanks but no thanks" e-mail.

I sent another e-mail to the Personal Assistant placement agency to let them know I was still interested, but they responded that I should stick with my current job so that I could have a good L.A. reference. My former coworkers in Austin have given me glowing references, but experience outside of L.A. doesn't always hold weight with people here.

I also called the city today and it looks like they might have lost my library application. May have to start over with that one.

Why all the job searching? I "gave notice" at my temp job today. It's too stressful a job for a career I'm halfhearted about in the first place. I won't go into it here, but I have to look after myself right now; I don't have a lot of stress-relievers to take the edge off a difficult job situation.

Right now I'm in the hands of fate. If my property manager finds new tenants in Austin, I will continue to stick it out here, but if her search drags on, I may be returning a lot sooner than expected...

No comments: