Sunday, May 27, 2007

Lonely in the Middle

I caught a movie last week at the ArcLight on the same day I interviewed with the library. My Harvard-educated date told me that he once applied to be a financial aid counselor at a community college here (that's what his background is in), and they had him take a long test and then told him if he passed he'd be placed on a list of contenders and possibly called in for an interview (which never happened). I also recall an architect I dated here complaining to me about the certification tests he had to take to practice in the state of California.

Before I moved here a friend sent me an article about the lack of a middle class in Los Angeles, and I've since read that the city is desperate to attract middle class earners back to living in L.A. They tend to leave because buying property and raising a family here is so formidable. So it seems odd that middle class professionals have to jump through so many hoops to gain employment paying in the middling range. Single people such as myself and my former dates are probably the only professionals willing to live here on those jobs, since you certainly can't afford to raise a family on them in this town.

No comments: