Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Morning After

I drank a couple of glasses of wine last night and ended up with a raging headache that lasted all night. The good news is that it distracted me from my emerging anxiety disorder, and I was finally able to sleep.

I went out with a coworker and her husband; we had dinner first at their landmark apartment building in Hollywood, complete with old-timey elevator. My friend's husband is a former actor/ model. My roommate's boyfriend is a former model. One of the men I met on New Year's Eve was also a former model. I don't recall ever having known a "former model" before living here.

My friend used to work in the entertainment industry as a craft services provider. I've been a bit envious of the entertainment industry lifestyle because it allows for a lot of time off and because of the variety it provides in terms of working with new people and at new places all the time. But my coworker and her husband emphasized how stressful it all was, never knowing where your next paycheck is coming from.

We went to a birthday party for another coworker that was held in the penthouse suite of a hotel in Hollywood. The birthday boy was turning 27. As I wrote before, the bulk of my coworkers are in their twenties. His friends were all very sweet and polite, but I felt like I was watching an episode of the O.C.! Everyone looked so young.

My friends gave me a hard time upon leaving for not flirting more with some young guy who approached me at the party. He looked all of 24 years old. I asked my friend's husband if he knew any single men in their late thirties/ early forties, and he said all his friends were either married or in the closet or terrible people I wouldn't want to date. This does not bode well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I just say that you might give "24" a chance...if you're interested..or 25,26, etc...cause maturity, like a lot of other qualities, seems to vary widely among people who are the same age. At least that's what I'm finding. And it SEEMS that, surprisingly, many guys are happy about dating an older woman. (Well, we'll see what happens when/if that older woman is like 50, and her man is 38...)