Thursday, April 5, 2007

Another Week, Another Roller Coaster

I found out yesterday that the current tenants in my condo in Austin will be moving out in May. I'd be lying if I said I'm not sorely tempted by the prospect of throwing in the towel on L.A. and moving back. But, despite what appear to be my dismal prospects here, it does seem too soon to make that decision. There's some hidden parties up in those hills, and I'd like to attend a couple before splitting town!

I do think my decision to leave Austin and try something new was a sound one, but I'm just not sure I can build a life here, for reasons out of my control.

In terms of my workplace, I've taken a look up the ladder, and my desire to move upward has been, uh, greatly tempered (oh, how interesting this blog could be if I didn't feel I had to edit myself). Not to mention that almost everyone over the age of thirty appears hitched. Right now I'm just trying to cope with my current position, hoping it will at least cover the bills and that I can stick with it long enough to give L.A. a real chance. I love the short commute and the hours (I work a later shift) and have been pretty successful at walking into the job in the mornings with a good attitude. But then I encounter the chaos and find myself in yet another impossible, no-win situation, and I want to run screaming from the building! I'm still in the temp period and so could decide it just isn't working out, but I'd like it to work, for a while anyway. At least now I'm starting to have conversations with coworkers.

A different temp agency called me this week, dangling an interview for another temp-to-perm job. It was at a higher level, but the compensation, although slightly better, wasn't enough for me to take the risk. In truth, none of these jobs pay livable wages for a city this expensive. I've learned the hard way not to think of the people who work for employment agencies as job counselors. They are more like used car salesman, and if you're lucky, you'll end up with something you like reasonably well that has a minimum of problems. I've also seen some friendly personalities turn on a dime when I didn't behave a certain way. Enough said.

I went to the dentist this week and, big surprise, he told me I've been grinding my teeth at night.

I'm nearly finished with "The Royal Nonesuch" and recommend it highly. The author started a "naming" company while in Los Angeles, and I appreciated his insight on that type of business, as I temped for a "branding" company a few months ago. I definitely don't have the personality to work in marketing, although my skills would lead me there.

I know that if I go back to Austin I'll just be facing another long hard job search. I've started running the numbers and wondering whether if I moved back, found a roommate, and sold my car, I could survive on a part-time job at the Starbucks at 45th and Lamar (for the health insurance). Sadly, I think there's no way to get off the treadmill, if you want to eat.

I'm becoming happier and happier that I don't have kids!

No comments: