Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Recommended Reading

I'm in the midst of reading Phil Rosenthal's book called "You're Lucky You're Funny." Good look at the ups and downs of show business by the creative/ executive producer of "Everybody Loves Raymond." Although he definitely endured some stressful and uncomfortable job situations before "Raymond," his chapter about a typical day in the life of The Writer's Room for that show would make anyone envious. Basically a bunch of former stand-up comedians would roll in around 10 a.m. and munch on doughnuts for a couple of hours while telling scatological jokes and stories. Then they would get down to the business of writing the show, which involved yet more scatological jokes and stories. Much like hanging out with your friends on a Saturday night.

For anyone inclined to ruminate on how much more fun they *could* be having on a job, I direct you to Chapter 8, "This Is How We Do It."

Rosenthal frequently refers to "writer's assistants" in that chapter, which provided me with yet another idea for a possible job, although again, I don't think I have the right background or connections to get a position like that. But I think I'd be good at it.

No comments: