Sunday, March 4, 2007

Parties (Birthday and Other)

Yesterday was my birthday, and I was greeted in the morning by a bouquet of balloons from some Austin friends. My roommate D., who is back in town from a spokesperson gig, brought out a cupcake and a candle in the evening. She also told me celebrity gossip from her earlier years. It occurs to me that since I don't go out drinking at Hollywood hot spots that I'm missing the celebrity action. But everyone tells me that scene is overrated, and frankly I'm too old, especially after yesterday. Although D. says that L.A. is ageless and you will see lots of older people on the scene-- particularly men.

One of my acquaintances who works at a studio, and who recently quit drinking, said that the socializing here revolves around bars, so people are either drinking or they are in AA. Speaking of which, D. told me you have to apply to be accepted into the hot celebrity AA groups.

To end the night I went out salsa dancing on a date at Mama Juana's in Studio City, which was fun. It's a date-oriented supper club, so not the kind of place I would go salsa dancing alone. My date told me that he has never seen a celebrity out salsa dancing. Not even J-Lo!

4 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

Like many, I sometimes take the opportunity to click on the "next blog" button...

As a native-born LaLaLander, I notice one thing missing from your blog entries: Where are the people of 'color'?

If all you're seeing are "White" faces, you're not really living in Los Angeles. Which I don't mean as criticism! Lots of people live 'Colorless" within the city limits of Los Angeles, and may God bless and keep them. But the real, true Los Angeles isn't them.

But then maybe the 'real, true Los Angeles' isn't all that nice a place to live and work?

Elizabeth A. said...

Bert,

Several of these friends/ dates are people of color (East Asian, Asian, Hispanic, etc.), not to mention the Jewish culture I'm steeped in, but I'm trying to keep personal descriptions generic. Perhaps because of that everyone comes across as "vanilla."

Elizabeth

Elizabeth A. said...

Although, for the record, *I* am plain vanilla, I do love the ethnic diversity here.

Elizabeth

Amy L said...

Hello? You want a scene? I can show you a scene. And then we'll end up at Red Rock where the bartenders dote on us. HA HA HA HA HA