Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Alice in Jobsearchland

I'm taking a break from job searching today to deal with my befuddlement. I wrote again to what I will call the "Personal Assistant Company" with an updated resume, and as usual they sent back an enthusiastic e-mail, but then... nothing. I made some connections recently who insisted they could help, but their response to my resume this week was to "try Craigslist" or "The Personal Assistant Company." I feel like Alice in Wonderland, going around in circles.

One of my agencies asked me to e-mail them with jobs from their website that I am interested in, so I picked out some general office/ admin stuff, but then they didn't respond to my e-mail. Huh? What does no response mean? I have no idea.

I had a talk last night with my roommate and she was railing about the complete incompetents she has to deal with at one of her gigs, and how they all have high-level jobs, and how employees who lie and cut corners are rewarded. Might I just add that the woman at the Entertainment Placement Agency, the one who said I had no relevant skills, had to call her assistant into her office to send an e-mail for her.

I found a discussion board of frustrated L.A. jobseekers this morning that validates some of what I have been experiencing. Basically, that in L.A. it is all "who you know," that "incompetence is rewarded," and that "mediocrity is preferred" on the job market. Not that I'm getting bitter.

Link to discussion:

city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/42784-anyone-else-relocate-east-coast

No comments: