Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Art(lessness) of Conversation

One of my dates here told me that he often had to do all the work at keeping conversation afloat when he went out with women in L.A. After encountering other women here in social situations, I am starting to understand why I get asked out on second dates. It is indeed painful to carry on a conversation with some of the women I have met here (not all, of course). Here's a sample from the other night:

Me: So where did you move here from?
Dimwit girl: Maryland (silence, no elaboration, no return question)

And so on. Now imagine a whole evening of that. It's like a game of 20 Questions with me as the hostess.

When I first moved to town I was invited out for drinks with a group of women, and when I saw them a second time a few months later, I asked each of them how things were going with events they had mentioned from that first evening. Not one of them asked me a question in return!

No comments: